Thursday, DATE — 3 pm
Academic Center, Room 217
About the GEC
The General Education Committee is a subcommittee of the College of Marin Academic Senate. For more information about the GEC's responsibilities, please see the Academic Senate Subcommittee webpage. This information is also available as a PDF.
COM General Education Statement of Purpose
While college students choose a specific field of study, part of their educational experience and requirements include a program of general education. This well-rounded, student-driven educational package is intended to be complementary to, but different in emphasis from, the specialized education received for a job or a profession, or from focusing on a particular field of study. By completing a general education program, students expand their knowledge of the content and methodologies in a variety of disciplines. College of Marin expects students to:
- Become effective written, oral and visual communicators for many audiences;
- Be flexible, curious, and open to new experiences;
- Recognize how they connect to and affect their community and the world beyond;
- Enhance economic survival skills for the workplace and marketplace;
- Think critically, ethically, independently, and creatively about a variety of topics that will be useful to them in the real world and hone these thinking skills in a way which can be used throughout their life;
- See the interconnectedness of topics and use multiple disciplines to help achieve a deeper understanding of past, present, and future events at local, national and global levels;
- Become a more widely informed citizen who appreciates the importance of intellectual, scientific and artistic accomplishments;
- Engage in healthful living and wellness physically, intellectually, emotionally and socially.