An Academic Senate's primary function is to make recommendations with respect to academic and professional matters. Academic and Professional matters means the 10+1 policy development and implementation matters. The Senate's functions are laid out in Title 5, § 53200‐53206. The faculty of the College of Marin established the Academic Senate "whose primary function is, as the representative of the faculty, to make recommendations to the administration...and to the governing board of [the] district with respect to academic and professional matters." [Title 5, Cal Code of Regulations, § 53200(b).
According to College of Marin's Board Policy 3260 Participation in Local Decision Making:
The Board or its designees will consult collegially with the Academic Senate, as duly constituted with respect to academic and professional matters, as defined by law. Procedures to implement this section are developed collegially with the Academic Senate. In accordance with the provisions of Title 5 of the California Education Code, the Board of Trustees of the Marin Community College District shall rely primarily on the advice and recommendations of the Academic Senate in the following matters:
- Curriculum, including establishing prerequisites.
- Degree and certificate requirements.
- Grading policies.
- Educational program development.
- Standards or policies regarding student preparation and success.
- College governance structures, as related to faculty roles.
- Faculty roles and involvement in accreditation processes.
- Policies for faculty professional development activities.
- Processes for program review.
- Processes for institutional planning and budget development.
In instances where the governing board elects to rely primarily upon the advice of the Academic Senate, the recommendations of the Senate will normally be accepted, and only in exceptional circumstances and for compelling reasons, will the recommendations not be accepted. If a recommendation is not accepted, the governing Board or its designee, upon request of the Academic Senate, shall communicate its reasons in writing.
Additionally, in accordance with the provisions of Title 5 of the California Education Code, the Board of Trustees of the Marin Community College District will mutually agree with the advice and recommendations of the Academic Senate on item 11:
11. Other academic and professional matters as mutually agreed upon.
Elected Senators for the 2021-22 Academic Year
NOTE: All senators are elected "at large".
FT Credit Senators
- Maria Coulson (see Officers)
- Patty France
- David King
- Cara Kreit
- Kevin Muller
- Meg Pasquel (see Officers)
- Kristin Perrone
- Kyle Beattie
- Caitlin Rolston (see Officers)
- Eric Muñoz
- Patricia Seery (see Officers)